Surgical Patient Checklist
Unless your surgeon gives you different instructions, please prepare
yourself for outpatient surgery using this checklist.
TWO DAYS OR MORE BEFORE SURGERY
- Check insurance coverage.
- Have pre-admission tests, such as blood work and x-ray, completed.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours after discharge.
- If you develop a cold or any other illness prior to your surgery, report this to your physician.
- If applicable, bring a copy of legal guardianship papers or Advance Directives.
DAY BEFORE SURGERY
- Avoid smoking, alcoholic beverages, and non-prescription drugs.
- Only take your medication the morning of surgery if instructed to do so.
- You may receive a phone call from a nurse to briefly review your health history and post-operative instructions to include home care needs specific to your surgery.
- Call for your time of arrival after 3pm the day prior to your procedure @ 225-3290. Call Friday if you procedure is on Monday.
THE EVENING BEFORE SURGERY
- Eat a light meal.
- Drink non-alcoholic beverages as desired.
- Prepare anything you will need to bring to the hospital.
- Perform any pre-operative preparations ordered by your physician.
Do Not Eat Or Drink Anything unless your physician specifically orders medications or clear liquids.
THE DAY OF YOUR SURGERY
- Do Not Eat Or Drink Anything unless your physician specifically orders medications or clear liquids.
- Leave jewelry, money, and other valuables at home.
- Bring your insurance identification card.
- Bring a container to store your contact lenses or glasses.
- Bring reading materials, knitting, etc. in case of delays.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing.
- Plan to arrive at the Outpatient Department at your assigned time (see map for directions). This time is approximately one and a half to 2 hours prior to your surgery and allows us ample time to finish admission work, pre-operative preparations, etc.
- For you convenience, the Outpatient Pharmacy is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Cash or insurance prescription card will be needed for payment.
- Do Not drive a car, operate complex machinery, drink alcohololic beverages, or take medications without physician orders.
- Postpone important decisions and signing of important papers for at least 24 hours.
- Rest and recuperate following written and verbal post-operative instructions reviewed with you at the time of discharge.
- You will need a responsible adust to drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours.
FOR CHILDREN ONLY
- Talk to your child about coming to the hospital.
- Arrange for your other children, if any, to follow their normal activities or stay with a friend or relative.
- Pack a favorite toy or blanket.
- Observe any special diet instructions given by your physician.
- If necessary, bring bottled formula, milk, or juice.
- A brief tour of the Outpatient Surgery area is available upon request. Please call Toll Free 1-800-562-9753 ext. 3058 or 906-225-3058 to arrange a time.
If you have any questions, please call your physician or the Outpatient Surgery Department.